Huntington Beach Masonic Lodge #380, Free and Accepted Masons of California was formed in 1906 by a group of Masons who were members of the Santa Ana Lodge. As Southern California residents know, the winter months have a tendency to be cold and rainy, and these conditions made it difficult for residents to Huntington Beach to make the long trek on horseback or by carriage. The Lodge was first formed at a meeting on April 26th, 1906, where Andrew Wylie Griffith was elected the first Worshipful Master. Huntington Beach #380 formally received their dispensation from the Grand Lodge of California on June 25th, 1906, and were presented with the official charter at a meeting on October 31st, 1906.
Prior to the construction of the current Lodge building, Huntington Beach #380 met at the Odd Fellows Hall on the second story of a building on the corner of Ocean Avenue (Now Pacific Coast Highway) and Main Street in Downtown Huntington Beach. Construction of the current Huntington Beach Lodge was completed in 1954, and the building itself was constructed by members of the Lodge. The Lodge has met there ever since.
A fixture in the local community for over a hundred years, Huntington Beach #380 is a highly active lodge. In addition to bringing in new members, it hosts programs honoring local police officers, fire fighters, and teachers, and promotes involvement with the local schools through its Public Schools Night program. Each August, the lodge hosts its annual deep-pit barbeque at Lake Park – a highlight of the year that has continued since 1936. This event attracts members from all over the community, and is attended by local civil dignitaries, and guests from the Masonic Homes and community members.
We welcome our traveling brethren as well as the curious. If you live or work in the Huntington Beach area and are interested in learning more about Freemasonry, call the Huntington Beach Lodge at (714)536-3119 or feel free to contact us online!